Cordefactum Guitar Festival 2014
Saturday 31 May, 16:30
Dick Boak - Luthier / Martin Guitars
The Evolution of the Acoustic Guitar
Dick's lecture is entitled: “The Evolution of the Acoustic Guitar” and will focus on Martin’s colorful history, the development of the modern acoustic guitar, Martin's historical contributions to the definitive acoustic guitar design, artist signature model collaborations, and on specific guitar shapes, sizes and tonewoods that lend themselves to particular musical genres.
Bio / Dick Boak
Dick Boak nearly lost his eyesight at the age of six and ever since, has concerned himself with visual details. Unable to surpass his older brothers in the sports arena, he focused instead on drawing, woodworking, writing and music. In his teens, he self-published two booklets of poetry, immersed himself in technical drafting, and began to experiment with musical instrument design and construction. His wanderings took him to Vermont where he worked a series of disastrous jobs in support of his bohemian lifestyle. Eventually, he departed for California with a band of like-minded hippies in search of the utopian dream. Landing at Lou Gottlieb’s infamous Morningstar Ranch commune, he constructed many hand-hewn dwellings and domes and entered his most prolific years as a conceptual illustrator.
Returning to the East Coast, he became an art teacher, lathe turner, performing musician and luthier. In 1973, he discovered
C. F. Martin & Co. and was soon hired as a design draftsman. Since then and for the past 32 years, he has held many diverse and creative positions there, leading to the formation of Martin’s Artist Relations Department and the conception of more than one hundred and forty signature guitar collaborations with the top musical talents of our time. His acclaimed book “Martin Guitar Masterpieces” relays the stories of those collaborations.
He continues to build his legacy with The Martin Guitar Company, finding occasional time to further his art and music, and work on
the publication of his more personal book “Dot To Dot – The Creative, Comical & Covert Adventures of Dick Boak”.
www.martinguitar.com / www.dickboak.com
All LECTURES / Program
THURSDAY 29 May
- 19:30 / Presentation 'Leonardo Guitars Research Project' followed by a Concert, read more
FRIDAY 30 May
- 10:00 / Richard Hoover #1( Santa Cruz Guitars ) US / Steelstring Gitaar / Read more
- 14:00 / Daniele Chiesa (IT-ES) / Classical Guitar / Read more
- 16:30 / Gabriele Lodi (IT) / Classical Guitar / Read more
SATURDAY 31 May
- 10:00 / Richard Hoover #2( Santa Cruz Guitars ) US / Steelstring Gitaar / Read more
- 14:00 / Markjan Vermeer (NL) / Steelstring Guitar / Read more
- 16:30 / Dick Boak ( Martin Guitars ) US / Steelstring Guitar / Read more
SUNDAY 1 June
- 10:00 / Lorenzo Frignani (IT) / Classical Guitar / Read more
- 14:00 / Gabriele Lodi - Lorenzo Frignani / panel talk / classical guitar
- 16:30 / Felipe Conde (ES) / flamenco Guitar / Read more